Now that the pros and cons of feeding an all natural meat based diet and a good commercial diet have been discussed, what is a pet owner to do? Here is what I think your healthy choices consist of, starting from the most nutritious and least toxic to the least nutritious and most toxic:
- Feeding exclusively a fresh all natural, raw meat, raw vegetable diet as described in the above. Cooked rare meat can be used in place of raw meat but nutrients are definitely lost in the cooking. It is very important to use a carefully calculated recipe that assures your home made diet will be complete.
- Feeding a commercial, fresh, very high quality, meat based, whole grain, chemically free diet, supplemented with 25 to 30 raw meat and raw vegetables enzymes, probiotics, vitamins and chelated minerals.
- Feeding a commercial, fresh, very high quality, meat based, whole grain, chemically free diet, supplemented with enzymes, probiotics, vitamins and chelated minerals. However, no fresh meat or vegetables are added.
- Feeding a commercial, grained based food that contains alot of grain fractions/ by-products in place of whole grain, and does not use the best sources of animal protein. It probably contains chemical additives such as artificial preservatives, coloring agents, and taste enhancers.
- Feeding inexpensive off brand generic dog food that is loaded with the chemical additives and which uses as a meat source animals from rendering plants.
Deciding on which approach to take and which commercial dog food to use will always be a compromise. I recommend for the average person who has a relatively healthy dog and can't afford the time it takes to feed the natural raw meat diet to consider purchasing either a fresh, very high quality, meat or grain based, whole grain, chemically free, commercial food. If a grain based diet is chosen then I recommend adding 10-20% meat preferably raw but cooked is okay in order to raise the percentage of meat in the diet. Meat and vegetable table scraps are okay to use in small proportions. Fortify this diet with a super supplement that supplies digestive enzymes, amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, chelated minerals, and probiotics all in one product.