Eliminate Environmental Toxins and Have a Healthier Pet

Whether we are talking about humans or animals, good health can not be simply defined as “the absence of symptoms”. Most of us have heard of people who appeared perfectly health and then suddenly died of a heart attack. You probably know people who were symptom free and then were suddenly diagnosed with terminal cancer that had already spread throughout their body. These people did not suddenly develop their terminal conditions overnight. Their disease process may have been smoldering for years and finally reached a critical stage where the body could no longer compensate. Most vital organs have a “reserve capacity” that allows a certain amount of damage to occur before the organs begin to fail to function normally. This is when symptoms become apparent. Let’s use degenerative kidney disease as a perfect example of what I am talking about. Both humans and animals with chronic kidney disease will behave healthy and perfectly normal until 70% of both kidneys are damaged. That is when the kidney reserve is used up and the organ begins to fail. The disease often begins when our pets are young as a result of poor nutrition and environmental toxins. Symptoms, however, often do not show up as outward disease until we and our pets are much older. Therefore we can never take good health for granted. Good health is not identical with the absence of symptoms.

So start now, before your pet is sick, to take the steps necessary to reduce the toxins he or she is exposed to. We and our pets are living in a cess pool of toxins that.are coming at us from all sides. From the air we breathe, the water we drink, and from the food we eat. Our homes and work place assault us with toxins that we never see and are usually unaware of. Even when we become aware of the problem, the question remains, “How do we reduce our exposure to environmental toxins.”

To further complicate this mess that humans have created, we need to understand that our pet’s food supply is not only contaminated with antibiotics, hormones, pesticides , chemical preservatives, dyes, and texturizures, it is also deficient in the important nutrients that are needed to help our pets remove the toxins that are threatening them. Our food supply has been raped of nutrients by poor farming practices which failed to replenish the land with minerals removed during the harvest and consequently food grown on this mineral deficient soil has a nutrient content far below that was present 100 years ago. There is a huge toxic load present in our environment . The growth and irresponsibility of our industrialized society is the cause. Consequently, our pet’s detoxification system must work overtime to try to rid our their body of this influx of toxins. The combination of poor nutrition and a toxic environment produces a lethal outcome. Our pets’ immune system and their organs of detoxification require that the right nutrients be present in order for them to neutralize the toxins. When more toxins are processed then more nutrients are needed. But we are getting fewer and fewer nutrients from foods grown on depleted soil. Consequently, our pets’ detoxification processes can not keep up with the toxic load and the toxin level in their body starts to rise until eventually damage is done to their vital organs.

The persistent bombardment of our pets’ body with eventually creates an immune system that is on hyper alert. Often this hyper active immune system goes out of control and results in chronic inflammation throughout the body. Inflammation when controlled and balanced is part of the bodies healing mechanism but when it goes out of control it produces damaged organs.. Eventually, this uncontrolled, hyperactive immune system becomes exhausted and goes from hyper active to hypoactive with immune suppression resulting. When immune suppression occurs the body is ripe for cancer.

So even if your pet appears to perfectly healthy I urge you to look for ways to reduce the toxins in his or her environment and to provide nutrition and nutritional supplements which support detoxification. Below are steps to consider

  • Use cleaning supplies, room deodorants and personal cleansing and grooming supplies that are non toxic. (Call Dr. Simon’s clinic for sources)
  • Put in natural gas and carbon monoxide alarms
  • Don’t allow smoking in your house
  • Don’t use chemical insecticides or herbicides on grass where your pet walks
  • Keep copiers and laser printers turn off when not in us to reduce “out gassing”
  • Check the basement, the garage, and under the sink area for items that could prove toxic to children or pets
  • Eliminate toxic plants or keep them out of reach of pets
  • Use dehumidifiers to reduce mold and mildew in the basements
  • Periodically blow out your heating vents
  • Keep mouse and ant traps out of reach of pets

Begin by thinking of your home as a toxic waste dump. The average home today contains 62 toxic chemicals. Less than 2% of synthetic chemicals have been tested for long term toxicity and carcinogenic effects. The Environmental Protection Agency has concluded that indoor air is 3 to 10 times more polluted than outdoor air. Because houses today are so energy efficient “out gassing” of chemicals has no where to go so it builds up inside the home. Chemicals get into our body through inhalation, ingestion and absorption. House hold cleaners, bleach and medications are the #1 cause of accidental poisoning. Household cleaners are the number one cause of poisoning in children. Since 1980 Asthma has increased 600% and common household cleaners and cosmetics have been identified as triggers. Formaldehyde, phenol , benzene, toluene, and xylene are dangerous chemicals found in common household cleaners, cosmetics, fabrics, and cigarette smoke. These chemicals are cancer causing and toxic to the immune system. Formaldehyde can cause allergies, cancer, immune suppression and asthma. Chemicals from carpets and plastic have been found to cause kidney and liver damage. Lysol contains phenols and dioxin (Agent Orange). Some air fresheners desensitize the nerves in the nose causing sense of smell to be lost. Chemicals used to dry clean clothing are very dangerous and can cause cancer.

Now consider how much more exposure to these toxins pets have than their human care takers. Dogs and cats walk this world closer to the ground where toxins are more prevalent. They explore the world with their nose inhaling many more toxins than a human living in the same environment. They ingest toxins when they groom themselves and lick their feet. They entertain themselves by chewing on objects around them, many of which can be toxic. They get into filthier trouble exploring areas in and around the home that may be dirty, dusty, and moldy. They may drink ground water or drink out of the toilet both of which could contain chemicals or in~infectious agents. They may nibble on poisonous plants, and lick tasty chemicals, like anti freeze, off the garage floor. They may graze on grass that has been sprayed with chemical fertilizer, weed killers and insecticides. They sleep on the carpeting which may be out gassing dangerous chemicals. If the floor of the house has been cleaned with disinfectants it is almost assured that they will lick their feet and ingest the chemicals. Birds that live in the kitchen are likely to inhale dangerous fumes from non stick cook ware. Pets are often forced to inhale their caregivers 2nd hand cigarette smoke. Spraying pets with deep woods off, which contains DEET, and other insecticides will introduce chemicals into their body when they groom themselves. DEET is suspected to cause seizures in children who of course do not lick themselves.

There are number of things you can do to help reduce you home’s toxic load. First, so long as the weather permits, open a window on each side of the house in order to allow fresh air to flow in and provide a complete change of air 3 to 4 times per day. Maintain an indoor humidity of between 35% to 45%. Anything higher causes mold. The ideal temperature in the home~is between 68 and 72 degrees, anything higher makes chemicals more active. Before installing new carpeting make sure the carpeting you pick produces minimal out gassing. Change your furnace air filters regularly or install an electronic air cleaner. Have forced air furnace~~e ducts blown out regularly. Use cleaning products, disinfectants and air fresheners that are non toxic. Have your basement checked for radon. Install natural gas and carbon monoxide protectors. Remove any poisonous plants. Make sure your dryer is well vented because steam from dryers is extremely toxic as a result of residue from laundry soap. Dry cleaning chemicals are the same cancer causing chemicals found in mothballs. Consequently, don’t use moth balls and air out dry cleaning before bring it inside the house.

If you find the above information troubling and would like to takes steps toward becoming more environmentally responsible ask us about sources of highly effective, safe, non toxic, environmentally friendly home care products. You, your pet, and your family will be healthier for it.

Font Resize
Contrast