24 Hour Emergency Rooms

Veterinary Emergency Service East
(248) 547-4677
28223 John R., Madison Heights, South of 12 Mile
24 hours/7 days a week

MVS: Michigan Vet Emergency Service
Auburn Hills: (248) 371-3713

Oakland Veterinary Emergency
(248) 334-6877

Woodside Animal Clinic Hours


After hours emergency for current clients only: (248) 851-0472 (This is the doctor’s home. If you get a fax sound after several rings, there is no one home to answer your call.)

Michigan Anti-Cruelty Society

Phone: (313) 891-7188

Exotic Animal Rescue

Phone: (810) 791-1884 and (810) 463-6940

Oakland County Animal Control

Phone: (248) 391-7102

Bird Emergencies

Novi Animal Emergency
Phone: (248) 348-1788

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

Website: http://www.aspca.org
Phone: (888) 426-4435.
A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

National Capital Poison Center

Website: http://www.poison.org/
Phone: 1-800-222-1222

Recovering a Lost Pet

At the www.1888pets911.org website you can either report a pet lost or a pet found.

To begin with, make sure your pet is at all times well identified with an easy to read ID tag attached to the animal by a sturdy, well-fitting collar. The tag should provide the pet’s name and your address and phone number. Make sure the tag is updated when you move or change your phone number. In addition to the ID tag, you may want to more permanently identify your pet with a tattoo or microchip implant.

Be sure to keep an up to date photograph of your pet so that if the animal gets lost, you can quickly copy the picture and place “lost cat” or “lost dog” flyers in strategic locations such as pet shops, veterinary clinics, and grocery stores. You may also want to walk or drive down neighboring streets and subdivisions, and hand out these flyers to people in the neighborhood who are walking their dogs and who will most likely be sympathetic to your plight.

Call the dog pounds and Animal control officials, humane societies, police departments, veterinary clinics, and grooming parlors in the surrounding areas and let them know you have lost your pet. Provide them with pictures and as many identifying features as you can. Keep in mind that dogs can easily wander 5 to 10 miles from home, so make sure you don’t stop short in your search. To find out if your pet has been killed or injured, call city, county, and state road crews to see if they have found your pet’s body. Since Government Animal Control agencies usually keep an animal for only 3 to 7 days before adopting it out or euthanizing the pet you need to call or, better yet, visit these agencies daily to insure your pet is not mistakenly put to sleep.

Put an ad in the lost and found section of your daily paper and offer a reward to anybody finding your pet or providing information that leads to the animal’s recovery.