If you’re surprised to learn that chiropractic care is performed on pets as well as humans, you may be wondering whether (and how) it might help your pet with his health challenges. Here are some frequently asked questions about pet chiropractic care as practiced at our holistic vet center, Woodside Animal Clinic.
- What is chiropractic care? Chiropractic care is a non-surgical, non-pharmaceutical treatment method in which manual adjustments are made to correct a specific type of musculoskeletal problem known as subluxation.
- What is a subluxation? A subluxation is a misalignment of the bones within a joint, usually caused by an injury or degenerative condition. A joint suffering from subluxation may be stiff and painful, causing your pet to lose mobility, display symptoms of distress or even become lame.
- How can musculoskeletal misalignment impact my pet’s health? Joint problems and chronic pain affect everything from muscle tension to nerve function and systemic wellness. Chiropractic adjustment not only relieves joint pain, but it can also influence nerve receptors, improve blood flow and help your pet’s nervous system communicate more efficiently with various physical systems.
- What do you prescribe chiropractic adjustment for? Chiropractic care’s ability to improve musculoskeletal and nerve function makes it an amazingly versatile healing modality. Our veterinarian can use chiropractic adjustment (often in combination with other therapies) to treat arthritis, gait abnormalities, chronic injuries, allergies, immune dysfunction, neurological problems, cancer and many other conditions.
- What are the advantages of chiropractic care over other treatment modalities? Chiropractic care is a safe, non-invasive, conservative treatment method that can resolve complaints that might otherwise call for major surgery. It also has the ability to relieve pain without the potential side effects and interactions of medication.
- How are chiropractic adjustments performed? Our veterinarian, Dr. Simon, uses a gentle technique called the Logan Basic Technique to administer small, precise degrees of thrust to the joints requiring treatment. This corrects subluxation so the joints can move normally and without pain once again.
- How long does chiropractic adjustment take? A typical chiropractic session may take only a few minutes. The initial session requires additional time because our veterinarian must perform a thorough medical and spinal evaluation to pinpoint the underlying cause of your pet’s dysfunction.
- How will my pet feel after a chiropractic session? Your pet might have minor soreness immediately following the chiropractic session, but this disappears after a day or two of taking it easy. While immediate improvement can often result from a single adjustment, some conditions require a series of adjustments to receive the maximum benefit of treatment.
Chiropractic Care for Farmington, Birmingham, Royal Oak and Ann Arbor Pets
Please call Hartrick Veterinary Clinic for appointments: (248) 549 3399.